Sunday 1 August 2021

A winter wander

There's not many places we haven't explored here on the Fleurieu Peninsula, but on the weekend we headed off into the Inman Valley again, this time to walk along Jame's Track, a bit of a misnomer because it was, in fact, a nicely smooth gravel road.  But it was in a part of the valley we hadn't been, although the scenery was pretty much the same as our earlier explorations - soft, lush undulating green hills that descended into thick, eucalypt forests on the valley floor.  Here's three photos showing the typical landscape. Such a balm after our recent lockdown - fresh air and no-one around. 


We began walking easily along the smooth gravel road. The sun peeked out now and again from the grey clouds that swept across the sky. It was cold, but felt invigorating.
The track gradually climbed until we were on top of the ridge line. Here, it was easy to see the farms. We spotted some lovely black and white sheep and I readied my camera but, being sheep, they high-tailed it at the merest whiff of our presence and all I captured was a fluffy blur of bottoms disappearing down the hill. The cows, however, loved us.

The horse was too far away even for my distance lens, so I settled for this 'tree and horse' shot.
While the countryside around us was bucolic and relaxing to look at, there was not much I could see to focus on, photography wise, once I had taken the usual landscape and animal shots.

So time for my bark shots, a favourite subject of mine.
Most farm entrances consist of an iron gate and a gravelly, pot-holed road leading to the farm house - function being the operative word here. So I was delighted to see this new take using corrugated iron, colourful succulents and, if you look closely, an old-style lamp.  A lovely, welcoming entrance.
And just before we turned back I spotted this hidden house with its name Misty Springs on the gate. Another welcoming entrance!
We made our way back to the car, stopping for Steve's wattle shot.

Feeling energised, but at the same time relaxed, we retraced our route along the Inman Valley road. We stopped to browse at the Country Kitchen store where I picked up some grapefruit and orange jam (I can never resist a good country-made jam). Nearby was this quaint cottage, its garden brimming with winter flowering bulbs.
The sight and scents from these flowers was a charming end to our day out. 

3 comments:

  1. Very bucolic - although the weeing heifer looks a bit startled.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG I didn't see that going on!!!! Well spotted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank god I'm a country girl.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete