Monday 24 June 2019

A dose of Paris fashion

The fashion exhibition at the National Gallery of Victoria was a highlight of my recent visit to Melbourne (see previous blog).

The clothes presented began in the late nineteenth century, showcased 20th century fashion and finished with a couple of 21st century iconic designers. All the greats were represented in this collection, including Charles Worth (considered the father of haute couture), Chanel, Schiaparelli, Dior, Yves St Laurent, Pierre Cardin, Christian Lacroix, Paco Rabanne, and Alexander McQueen.

Kate and I were so excited we forgot to take notes or photos of the information, and thought $50 for the catalogue a bit much, so I can't actually label a lot of these clothes intelligently, that is, match them to the designers.

This was one of the earliest in the exhibition. We loved the attention to detail.

Similarly...

I'm sure my friend BB will love these shoes - exquisite cloisonné butterflies.
Hmmm.... not capes for today's theatre-going crowd, I think.
But again - the amazing detail took our breath away.
We loved how the mannequins were placed among the art work. The juxtaposition of art and fashion was truly inspired.


Can you see me in this jaunty number?
Or maybe this one????
Kate adored these next designs from the 1930s/40s.
Alexander McQueen was represented by these, for him, remarkably restrained examples. He was usually scarily dramatic and confronting, but the next photo shows his Scottish roots...
... and his inspiration from earlier times as in this beautiful gown with the most delicate touches that's breathtaking in its detail.

This is a 1998 suit by Galliano for Dior. How stylish! But perhaps best suited to someone with less kilos than me.
How pretty is this.
Here's a 1942 afternoon dress by Schiaparelli.
Have no idea who the designer is, but I love the cute checked dress.
Another of my favourites: a 1996 dress by Issey Miyake, strikingly set beside a 1920s cabinet from the NGV's collection.

More lovely gowns. 


We were exhausted by the time we had gone through the exhibition twice.
But what a very satisfying visit.

1 comment:

  1. They certainly are exquisite clothes. And shown to great effect. I can imagine it would be overwhelming. I shall watch your spring wardrobe with interest.
    Hope you are dropping Melbourne kilos and not stitches.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete