Saturday 29 December 2018

The joy of a sunrise

Goodness. I can't believe I actually got up at 5:30 the other day and walked for an hour along the coastal path. I had timed it for the sunrise, and I was not disappointed, though I'm afraid I only had my phone with me and captured what images I could. The sun was so red and the colour so intense it comes out in the photos as an almost white glare. But it was peaceful and cool and I encountered very few people. With a forecast 39 degrees later on, I certainly got the best part of the day.



Parking spots were at a premium for the fishermen who packed the coastal strip from before sunrise. Cars and and long trailers were parked in every space along the road and precariously up narrow side streets. I met a man who was just leaving his parking spot. After our 'good mornings' he chatted away, saying he had started at 4:00 am and was happy with his catch of 'tommys'. But he talked disparagingly of the tuna hunters, adding that he did not go after tuna, but smaller fish in the cove. I nodded knowingly. Later, I looked up on the net to find out what a 'tommy' was and discovered it is a type of herring.
As I passed the ramp, there was an endless procession of cars unloading their boats.

By the time I reached home, the sun was well and truly up and another lovely day in Encounter Bay was unfolding.

1 comment:

  1. My dear, a tommy is a tommy ruff. Delicious. You obviously didn't spent your adolescence on fishing holidays with your Mum and Dad.
    And I think we are getting old with all this getting up early in the morning lark.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete