Friday 6 April 2018

Autumn in the bush

Friday was a day that confirms my belief that autumn is the best of seasons.

In perfectly sublime weather we set off for a walk near Mount Alma in the Spring Mount Conservation Park. The steep and winding drive there gave us wonderfully expansive views of the valleys and plains below us as we drove into the southern remnants of the Mount Lofty Ranges on the Fleurieu Peninsula. Vast farmlands spread out over the hills, dry and bare after the summer.
To set the scene, the walk was nothing compared to the lush rainforests of Tasmania or the towering jarrah and karri forests of south-west Western Australia, nor the rugged coastal beauty of Wilsons Promontory in Victoria. In fact, it was a small regrowth stringybark forest with a thick understorey of grass trees, shrubs and fading wildflowers, with a wide, dirt track that made for easy walking.

But what captured me was the fresh scent of the eucalyptus, the absolute quiet (it was noon so birds were scarce), the gentle hill-top breeze that softened the warmth of the sun, and the feeling that we were utterly alone.  

Those who read my last blog will know that on our recent river walk my camera ran out of battery (due to my negligence). Well, I can top that now, because, in my flurry to get in the car, this time I forgot to take the entire camera! So I fess up and say that all these photos are Steve's.

At the start of the walk an interpretation sign tells us that this bushland is a refuge for the yellow-tailed black cockatoo which is found from Queensland to the Eyre Peninsula. It's the old story: land clearance has lead to a reduced habitat for these birds. Here in this park is one of a few small conserved areas suitable for them.
I don't suppose I fooled anyone into thinking that Steve had developed into an amazing ornithological photographer? (But he was excellent at taking a photo of the drawing on the interpretation sign!)  Unfortunately it was the wrong time of day and we didn't see any of the birds.

I feel dwarfed by the trees.

 






No comments:

Post a Comment