Saturday 30 December 2017

In celebration of ... me!

This is going to be a self-indulgent blog, documenting my 'birthday-with-an-0'.

First of all I had a wonderful day with emails, phone calls and visits from friends and family, making me feel very treasured. Of course it was a bit of a shock to see '70' figuring prominently on many of the cards, but hey - I felt happy and after all, it's only a number.

Steve gave me an e-book of the pre-birthday trip to Tasmania that we did in November. Not only was it a good way to relive the memories, but he also added photos from the archives from when we lived there 25 years ago. There were photos of the places we visited now - and then, often with friends.

He also gave me a beautiful gold ring that we had selected together in the Gold Museum in Bogota, Colombia when we visited way back in February. It is a reproduction of a ring from the pre-Columbian era and shows a twining snake representing the power of women (or so the lady told us).

 I love the way it is made. We saw a lot of similar ones in the museum.







My lovely daughters gave me a collection of Aesop's products, realising that I need all the help I can get. I can't wait to start slathering.

I decided I had better get dressed. I am wearing a necklace made up of gems from the Syrian desert that the women collect and polish into beads. Steve bought it when we visited Syria 12 years ago.... and last month discovered it hidden in a box. Now that was a huge surprise - the necklace that is, not the fact that Steve had forgotten about it because he does it all the time and I often get presents bought years earlier that he has hidden and subsequently mislaid, then re-discovered.

Neighbours invited me in for a drink and a friend stopped by.
Gardening figured prominently. Here is a book on gardening in South Australia...

... and here is a pink kangaroo paw!

Neighbour Anne took a photo of Steve and me because we rarely have one together. 
Then it was off for a picnic by the river.
In the evening we went to Loco, a local Mexican restaurant. It was fabulous. I had a mojito and a burrito. The restaurant was buzzing and we had a great night, but I forgot to take the camera, hence no photos of the food. Here I am dressed up for our night on the town (we were home by 8.45).
I am wearing the sandals I bought for Sharon's wedding and as she celebrated her 15th wedding anniversary on my birthday, I know exactly how old they are! As they say, everything old is new again - just like me!!!!!
And so ended a lovely day of celebration. 
As the song from the Disney musical version of 'Alice in Wonderland' goes, I have 364 un-birthdays before the next one. I think I can handle that!

1 comment: