Thursday 13 July 2017

Diary of a sweater

I have not blogged for quite a while. Instead, I have been busy snuggling against the winter chills, knitting needles in hand and clicking away contentedly for many weeks. Steve enjoys it too, as I am unable to speak while concentrating on complex patterns. So both of us are happy.

Kate selected a vintage 1940s pattern and purchased the wool. It was duly delivered to me and I set to. I love the beginning of a project when it is all ahead of me.
Warning: Readers who are non-knitters will probably not get excited with this blog.


The pattern begins to take shape.


 It was a lovely merino wool that felt so soft.
Slowly the pieces were knitted and it began to take shape.
First the back....

... then the fronts.

 Finally it was time to block the pieces, using the steam iron. Here are the sleeves set to be blocked.
 Then I sewed the pieces together.
 And finally assembled the finished product.

It was a bulky parcel to post, but off it went to Melbourne..... where it was lovingly accepted ('It's so warm. Love it!!! Feel very vintage. ') and modelled for me. It is hard to get measurements right when the client is so far away but we did our best. I think it could have been longer but Kate insists vintage is on, or just below, the waist.

Now my fingers are itchy again and I'm awaiting the next project .......

2 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you, Kate and the jumper. Steve announced this morning that he wants to knit another hat - so you have competition.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete