Wednesday 1 February 2017

I volunteer at the museum garden

I am now officially a volunteer at the local National Trust - as  a gardener, though I am also studying up the history so I can perhaps do some writing. The Trust property is a substantial stone house built in 1866. It was originally the Harbour Master and Collector of Customs House, built opposite the Bay. When shipping declined, it was bought by the railways and was the stationmaster's residence until the late 1960s. The nearby railway station is still used for the tourist steam train that does regular runs to Goolwa.

Source: victorhaarbornattrust.org.au
My new friend Kathy invited me to join the National Trust as a volunteer. She has done most of the work to maintain the garden. Here I am on my first day!  It was great to see the steam engine whoosh into the station behind us.
And here are some views of the various beds that surround the museum.
Part of the dry garden 
A generous geranium






3 comments:

  1. What's the deal with such a garden? Does it need to be a heritage design and planting?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It should rival Kew Gardens by Easter...
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete