Sunday 1 January 2017

The Festive Season

December was off to a good start with my week-long visit to Melbourne. Great to catch up with Kate and Kim, and then Sharon came over from Perth for two days. Wonderful to all be together. Here is a photo of us at the Emerald Hill library where Kate is Team Leader. Am I shrinking?

The weather was pleasantly warming up back in Encounter Bay so Steve and I walked up the Bluff for some needed exercise before the celebratory eating began in earnest.
Suddenly, the week before Christmas was upon us. Our lovely neighbours popped in for a drink and gave me a gorgeous bunch of roses. I miss having roses in my garden so am planning to rectify that come next winter. I'm already preparing the space.

Gone are the days when we had real pine Christmas trees that soared towards the ceiling. I remember one in Tasmania reaching 13 feet that we decorated in swathes of Victoriana baubles, tinsel and tiny painted toys. Today we have a Target special that struggles to gain attention.
Christmas gifts included a bit of bling for me...
... another sea creature mug to add to my collection...
.. and a book for Steve.
We had a simple meal of lime and coriander grilled prawns and salad which was yummy.

Friends in America sent us a Christmas photo with them posed in front of an enormous Christmas tree bedecked with glittering balls and streamers. We meant to send them an appropriately Aussie one, but left it too late so friends took this one outside our garage!
Our austere Christmas portrait
 The festivities continued with my birthday a few days later. This year Steve took me to Blues, a restaurant in nearby Middleton. Delicious food and surroundings. I had tender strips of venison on pumpkin with a blueberry and sultana sauce, washed down very nicely with a sparkling local wine. The meal was so delicious we kept eating and forgot to take a photo.
Outside Blues restaurant, wearing a necklace that Sharon made.
 Finally, we celebrated the New Year at our friends' party. I know this blog is a bit heavy with photos of me, but here I am off to the party. I am wearing another of Sharon's beautiful jewellery.
Over the last few weeks I had many phone calls, letters and gifts from friends, most of whom live in various states, so far from our home. There is nothing more special in all the world than the bond of friendship. I treasure my friends and hope we all have a wonderful 2017. 

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely part of the world you live in!

    Looking at the photos I am convinced that I need to have a rose, a beautiful old fashioned variety.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The roses are beautiful and I like your new mug... We didn't bother with a tree or single decoration this year - too exhausted to be in the festive spirit...

    AND I'M TALLER!!!!! x

    ReplyDelete