Monday 25 April 2016

Remembering

I woke at 5:00 am, determined to attend at least one ANZAC dawn service in my lifetime.
Hundreds of others were of a similar mind and I joined them, all of us heading to the Soldiers' Memorial Gardens in Victor Harbor.

The setting was sublime; the deep, rich, velvety-orange hint of a sunrise shimmered on the horizon, reflecting its hues in the still waters of Encounter Bay.



Tall pine trees were silhouetted against the faint light; it was still fairly dark - and cold.






The tall cross that dominates the gardens was illuminated with lights, and a screen stood nearby on which were projected harrowing scenes of war and photos of those who did not return.

A lone bagpiper walked along the path to the cross, the haunting sound of the pipes both sad and soothing.


Annoyingly, into this tranquil scene, the organisers decided to inject a modern song about Australian heroes marching to war.  But this was followed by the anti-war, hymn-like tune And the band played Waltzing Mathilda which I admire and which always brings the tears on, the futility of war made clear by the powerful lyrics.

The laying of wreaths and the playing of the Last Post completed the service.

3 comments:

  1. I didn't realise this was your first dawn service. How can you not have gone before?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. It was pretty moving though I hated the modern songs the organisers kept playing. The sunrise was beautiful. I guess you didn't go to the Shrine this year. Sharon said it rained so much in Perth that they couldn't go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame about the music. The Dawn Service in Wentworth had no music apart from the Last Post. In those days I could sit on my front doorstep and watch the service, or even listen in bed. Haven't made the dawn service in Tribes yet.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete