Thursday 19 January 2017

Spectator frenzy at the Tour Down Under

On Thursday I followed the Tour Down Under which came to Victor Harbor as part of Stage 3.

Billed as Australia's premier cycle race, the Tour Down Under is a week-long series of races in Adelaide and regional South Australia.  Stage 3 saw the cyclists riding 144 km from suburban Adelaide, down the coastline, then through the heart of the Fleurieu Peninsula, ending with 4-laps of a 13 km-circuit of Victor Harbor.

Each town the race passes through decks itself out, some going to more trouble than others. All I could see for Victor was a set of whimsical cycling kangaroos that surrounded the roundabout the cyclists encountered as they entered Victor Harbor.



























I decided that, with four laps to watch, I would stake out four different viewing locations. I must admit that, as a cycling race novice, I had no idea of the excitement I would feel as the police cycles led the way minutes before the cyclists actually arrived, followed by a slower police cycle, followed by a car and then .... the cyclists were upon us. By the time I raised my camera and shot, they had almost whizzed past....

... so I go a lot of bottoms.

Immediately the cyclists were through, came the support vehicles.
 I thought these papier mache figures were hilarious!

I then set off for Location 2, determined that I would get better shots when they came around in the second loop. I didn't. Some nice back views (again)...

but I do like this artistic shot of the headless riders.
I now have to confess that this next shot is not mine but my friend Fred took it.


Then around another corner. All the locals were out cheering them on.


 It was great being so close to the riders.

I was lucky to get this shot of tour leader Richie Porte being shielded by his fellow team members.



The next photo is another by my friend. The cyclists are climbing away from Victor to begin another 13 km loop.
One more loop to go. I walked closer to the finish line. 
Here they had a huge screen set up so you could follow the whole race. This photo is a screen shot, hence the pixel effect.

Now it was getting very exciting. The announcer warned everyone to get back from the barricades as the riders would be travelling at 70kms and be spread out across the road. And then, they announced that, less than 2 kms away, four riders were down. But soon, the pack came in view and I was so excited, I didn't get a shot. I was cheering along with everyone else, many of whom were ringing cow bells (a tradition, Kate tells me) and banging on the barricades. There were too many people anyway, holding up phones and leaning in front of me, as you can see.

But I did get one shot of a rider finishing.
The next photo shows two of the injured riders who finished after everyone else had gone through, with torn tops and bloodied flesh, though the photo doesn't show that.
I made my way to the presentation dais and managed somehow to get a few shots of the winners. I had no idea who anybody was, but there were three or four categories for different types of wins.
Luckily, Kate has since filled me in on who the people are.
This is Norwegian Vergard Laengen.
He was awarded the most competitive rider of the stage. 
This is Thomas de Gendt from Belgium.
He got the white jersey for being the best climber.


This is Richie Porte (from Tasmania).
He is the overall winner of the Tour Down Under so far.
Here is part of the crowd trying to view the presentation.
Amazingly, within twenty minutes or so, the support vehicles had packed up and were on their way out of town back to Adelaide for tomorrow's race.


And then, the strip of road that had lead to the winning post and was crowded with spectators a mere 20 minutes before was just a bare road again.


But what an exciting afternoon. I hope this will not be my last cycling event!!!

5 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you got to experience the excitement of a stage race! You'll be up to the wee hours watching le Tour in no time.

    For the presentation - the young chap from UAE is Vergard Laengen. He got awarded the most competitive rider of the stage. He was probably attacking in the break away of the four riders off the front.

    The fellow in the red jersey is Thomas de Gendt. He got the white jersey for being the best climber.

    And the ochre jersey winner is Richie Porte (from Tassie!) He is the overall winner of the race so far. I quite like those flowers.

    Your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know who they are. I have updated the blog with these names. All the winners got flowers, but when Richie Porte got another bunch he threw them into the crowd!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whew, that's more like it. Michael Tomalaris look out! Lovely bum shots, and the Ann Boleyn approach is novel. I studied the news last night expecting to see you on the podium kissing the winners and handing out bunches of flowers and toy lions.
    Next year.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not a lot to add to that summation! I will say that each 'race' of the overall Tour Down Under (or what we call the TdU) is not called a 'race', it's called a Stage. Tours like the TdU are 'stage' races (not to be confused with the Spring Classics, which are one day events), each stage is a seperate event in and of itself, but the results of each stage go towards the overall Tour standings. Hence you can have a stage winner who does not contend for the overall win. The overall contenders are called GC riders (General Classification)... I won't go on, you get the general idea. As to the rest, well, it's pretty complex (and gets more so if the Tour has stage win time bonuses).

    You'll hear the term 'Grand Tour', this refers to one of three European Tours - The Tour de France, The Giro d'Italia and the Vuelta a Espana - these are the three Tours that all GC riders covet the most. There are other Tours (that change from year to year with some sometimes included and others sometimes excluded and yet others that are permanent fixtures - like the TdU (which is also the first race on the UCI World Tour calendar)). Confusingly enough, some single-stage races (or, more correctly, one-day races) are also called Tours (the next one is also here in Australia, at the Cadel Evans Great Ocean Road Race)... I'm going on a bit now, so I'll leave you with a couple of links that should make for interesting reading for you:

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Tour_(cycling)
    http://www.uci.ch/pressreleases/the-uci-reveals-expanded-uci-worldtour-calendar-for-207/

    I think you'd find the history of the Tours (and the Spring Classics (which a lot of cyclists actually prefer to the Grand Tours - for reasons that will become apparent when you watch your first Spring Classics season)) exceptionally interesting. Cycling is a sport absolutely dripping with history - and I think you'll eat that up!

    I'm so happy that you've found cycling a sport you're interested in! There's an ever increasing amount of broadcasting of the various events being shown on SBS... the only sad thing is that you'll have to put up with listening to an inordinate amount of dross from Mike Tomalaris - a commentator who knows surprisingly little about the sport he's commentating on (stick to soccer please (PLEASE) Mike). But you will probably get to listen to the greatest ever cycling commentary duo, Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen - those two are an absolute joy.

    Well done on the pictures too - it's not as easy as it looks to get a good shot (but I was impressed that you were able to decapitate almost the entire Movistar team! Kudos on that!)

    ReplyDelete