Sunday 17 July 2016

I conquer the Bluff

After  a bleak week weather-wise, it was good to see some sunshine, so I set off in high spirits to climb the Bluff. This is a large granite headland a kilometre or so away from home. Originally called Rosetta Head after someone's wife it is commonly referred to now as the Bluff. A walk to the top results in magnificent views over Encounter Bay and along the coast.

Destination: the Bluff.

Steve decided to cycle there but had to turn back as he had forgotten to check his tyres and one was very flat.
I continued on along the path but couldn't resist a shot of my favourite bird, the pelican (readers of previous blogs will understand). There were quite a few swimming or preening themselves on the rocks. Last week I spotted at least ten here but today I only saw four.


Just before the path ends, there is a lovely arbor. I always love this part of the walk.

The path ends at a boat ramp then a gravel road leads around the base of the Bluff.

Just off-shore here, a whaling station was established in 1837. Whaling was big for a while and a manned lookout was established on the summit of the Bluff from where spotters could see for miles. However, with a decline in Southern Right whales visiting the area the business was unprofitable and the station was abandoned in 1841. Today, whale numbers have increased and there are numerous sightings between May and October.

I loved the sunshiney yellow of these sour sobs (weeds, but they sure lift the spirit after days of relentless rain and gloomy skies).

I am getting nearer.  Soon I will see where a rough track to the summit begins. There is another approach via a bitumen road and car park, but I prefer this more adventurous way.

I begin the climb up the non-signposted track.


Halfway up I look back and spot this view. 
Looking ahead I see other climbers - it's the school holidays so lots of families are out enjoying themselves.
It's a steady slog though not particularly arduous and soon I can see views back from where I've come, as well as over the other side of the Bluff.





I go mad with the camera - everywhere I look I can see lovely coastal views. I especially like a view where the land seems to plunge headlong into the sea.




Near the summit I come across an old copper mine - or so the sign says, because all I can see is a sunken grassy patch. The mine was established in 1863 in order to search for copper and other minerals. However, it was a short-lived venture and the mine was abandoned in 1866.

It's a bit windy on the summit but you can see why the early whale spotters liked this spot.



I decide to go back along the signposted stepped track.








I ended up not far from the rocky base.

Nearby was a family fishing...

... and a man with his boat ...



... and the Whalers Inn restaurant.

Naturally, I couldn't resist a final farewell to the pelicans that were sunbaking on the rocks.

I felt blissful and satisfied as I walked back home. Another lovely day in this beautiful corner of the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment