Saturday 18 June 2016

The architecture of Encounter Bay

Our home was built in a small part of Encounter Bay about 8 years ago, so all the homes are of the same vintage and look fairly similar in style.


However, wandering the nearby streets that wind down to the ocean or up into the hills, I am amazed at the diversity of architecture and how the houses of such different eras sit companionably with each other, from ultramodern to fibro beach shacks, timber cottages, bland seventies red-brick homes and (probably my favourites) the glorious mellow-coloured stone cottages of the early twentieth century.  There are permanent homes, holiday houses, and rentals; a wonderful melange of styles and all lovingly cared for.
I took my Lumix with me last week to record some of these.


 One of the earliest was built in 1878 and is now rental accommodation.


Here are those lovely stone cottages that caught my eye.





 I love looking for details.
This typical cottage is a real gem, with its perfectly white picket fence.



This Arts & Crafts style house is dwarfed by old gums.

There's an element of the Californian bungalow about this next one.

I love the air of mystery with this house. To me it sums up lazy holidays by the sea.


Most of the older homes are surrounded by mature trees.






Many homes in Encounter Bay, whether holiday or permanent, are often basic in style, reflecting the relaxed way of life here and the adage 'easy maintenance, easy care'.



And of course, there are modern homes. Some of these are built to pay homage to earlier styles with complementary gardens, as in this one...

...while others make use of modern material such as corrugated iron and use dry-weather plants.
 Some make use of the local stone as a feature.


Some are rather conservative and suburban....


others are small but contemporary in style.....

 ... and others are just big!

I'll finish with a favourite view of mine - at sunrise from the front fence of a seaside cottage.

3 comments:

  1. I feel and Encounter Bay Heritage series coming on... Seriously.
    XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. are these all homes is yours ?

    ReplyDelete